Thursday, January 24, 2013

Time In...Not Out

I have to admit, Griffin is an excellent little boy...very mild, sweet, calm, and enjoyable.  However, when he finds himself in trouble, he's usually standing on the couch, climbing onto the window sill, breaking a lamp, etc.  Sometimes, he will just plop down in the middle of the floor and pitch a little fit...I honestly believe he's trying to throw a temper tantrum!  It's kind of funny, actually...but I'm trying to teach him that some things are just not acceptable.  I think he finally grasps that he can't do the things that I listed above.  I can usually tell him to stop and he will do so.  He has also decreased the times that he attempts to do things things and I'm very proud of him.  BUT every now and then, especially during the little tantrums that he throws, I will scoop him up, say "no, no, no!", wrap his little arms and legs around me, sit in the recliner, and squeeze him tightly to me.  He will struggle for a bit and he may cry a bit louder, and when he stops crying for a couple seconds, I will release him.  Do you know what he does when I release him?  He smiles and is in a happier mood.  Time In works for Griffin.

My best friend who just adopted a little boy with Ds one month after me, shared that the tightness of the Time In releases a chemical in the brain that relaxes children.  So...maybe this is why it's working so well for Griffin!  I was surprised to hear this explanation.

Will this work for Little G?  I doubt it.  She's not a snuggle bug like Griffin but I think I will give it a try.  Perhaps it will work for her, if I can capture her long enough to give it a shot!  haha.

Love and Hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what'cha think!