Saturday, September 29, 2012

It's All About Poop.

So... I'm just gonna go there.  The dirty side of toddler hood.  The side that no one wants to hear about...or talk about...but it can't be avoided any longer.  Just keepin' it real!

So when we first got Griffin home from the orphanage, he was very constipated.  The poor little guy would go days without going.  We had to give him enemas to help him out.  Then the doctor put him on Miralax, one capful daily, and it turned his poop into diarrhea.  Talk about a mess!  And this was all happening during the time that we were having to collect stool samples to check for every parasite known to mankind.  (He didn't have any, thank goodness!)  How was I able to collect these samples?  I taped a sandwich baggie over his behind so that it wouldn't soak into his diaper.  I will never view sandwich bags the same way ever again.

The very first time I changed one of his poopy diapers, the smell of moth balls hit me like a wall!  I was absolutely, positively certain that he had, at the very least, giardia, since that's very common in the water supply there.  I was shocked to learn that he had nothing!  So where was the smell of moth balls coming from?  Even his breath had a very chemical smell to it.

Since then, I have learned that he has an overabundance of h-pylori, so I wonder if that's the cause of the smell.  Honestly, the smell isn't as strong anymore and almost undetectable.  His breath smells like "normal" breath now.  Maybe it was the lack of nutrients that was causing the smell, who knows.

Well, we have regulated his poop so that he will go once a day, by giving him 1/2 capful of Miralax.  We will keep up this regimen for the first year that he is home, hoping to retrain his colon to work properly and to repair the damage caused by impaction.

So, I'm totally going to gross you out right now, so skip on down if you don't want to read!  Every time I change his poopy diaper, the smell can linger on my hands for an entire day!  So if I change a dirty diaper every single day, my hands smell like poop every single day.  It is G-R-O-S-S!  Nothing turns my stomach like the smell of poop as I shovel down the first bite of my chips and salsa, which is my guilty pleasure when I put the kids down for a nap.  YES, I literally scour my hands.  I wash them a million times a day, use hand sanitizer, and the smell will still linger.  You know how an onion will linger on your hands for days once you chop one up?  Well, Griffin's poop does the same thing and is just as potent. 

So what have I decided to do?  As of today, I'm wearing medical gloves when he has a poopy diaper.  I plan to buy a huge box of them tonight so that I will never have poopy hands again! 

Bless his heart.

The kids and I went to the park today without the hubs.  I have learned that this is an impossible task at this stage.  There is just not enough of me to go around with these 2 toddlers!  The minute I let Little G out of the stroller, she takes off to do something that is too dangerous.  Every German playground has some type of dangerous element to it and that's the one thing she will go for.  I will have to sit Griffin down on the ground and run to save her, only to come back and find Griffin with a mouthful of dirt, sand, or rocks.  Griffin's OT suggested that Griffin play in sand, because it's something that he will surely not like to eat.  WRONG.  I thought, after the first mouthful, that he would realize that it doesn't taste good.  After I got it cleaned out of his mouth, he reached down, grabbed another handful, and shoveled it right on in again.  He was chewing on sand for the remainder of our time at the park.  It was even caked between his teeth!  Honestly, I believe he thought it was delicious.  What does this have to do with poop?  Well, the germaphobe side of me kicked in and the first thought that popped into my mind when that first handful of sand went in was, "Oh no!  He's gonna get the worms!" (said in my thickest southern accent.) And well, that will turn into a poop issue.  <sigh> 

As we were walking home from the park, we have to pass through an area that is the stinkiest place in Germany, surely.  There are horses along our walkway, and every time we pass through there, Little G will yell out, "EEEWWWWW!  POO-POO!  POO-POO!"  over and over again until the stench is behind us.   I agree, Little G.  It is very EEEWWW!    Those poor horses must have some serious bowel problems.

But anyway, that's about it for today.  The hubs and I are going to go on a little date tonight.  I'm sure the subject of poop will surely come up, at least once. :-) 

Happy Saturday!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what'cha think!