Friday, December 7, 2012

Griffin's First Day of PreK

WHEW!  So you know what I said in my last post about how I thought that I had bought myself at least 10 days of extra time by waiting on transportation to be set up for Griffin to get to school?  Yeah, they emailed me yesterday afternoon and said that he is all set and the bus will pick him up the next day... which was TODAY.

So this morning, I got Big G on the bus and began getting everything ready for Griffin's first day.  I did ridiculous things.  I really did.  I sewed his mittens to a string that I could lace through his coat so that he wouldn't lose his mittens in the snow.  I stitched the liner down in his coat so that his teacher wouldn't have a hard time getting his coat on and off.  I wrote his name, address, and phone number on EVERYTHING that he took to school today in case he got lost...which is impossible...but still.  I put a luggage tag inside his coat with all of his information on it.  I put a luggage tag on his backpack.  I put extra lotion on his wind chapped face for extra protection.  Ridiculous, I tell you.

I got him all bundled up, grabbed my camera, and headed out the door 10 minutes early in order to get some pictures of him on his first day of school.  I opened the garage to find the van already waiting on us!  They were early.  So the assistant starting getting Griffin's seat ready and I asked if I could snap a picture while she was doing that.  I stood him up on the drive way and before I could step back to snap the shot, he turned around, I took the picture of him  anyway as he head planted in the snow on the concrete.  I stuffed my camera in my pocket, snatched him up, only to find him giggling.  I brushed the snow off of his entire body and put him in the van...and away they went.  As they drove away, I just stood there.  And stood.  And stood in the snow.  It was really starting to come down and that made me nervous, too.  By the time he got to school, the road conditions had gotten worse.  I held my breath the rest of the time until both of my "Eagles" got home.

So what did I do while Griffin was at school?  Since Little G was down for a nap, I had an awesome lunch of Peanut Butter Cups and chips and salsa, just because I needed comfort food, along with a tall glass of sweet tea...and I watched Days of Our Lives.  Little G woke up and then I realized that I was super tired and should have taken a nap.  So I got on the couch and she beat the tar out of me as I took a lousy 15 minute nap.  I awoke to her trying to pull one of my earrings out of my ear.  Enough.  It was finally time to go get Griffin off the bus...well, it's really a van...let's call it a "vus".  ok?  I put Little G in the ball pit and the vus was already outside.  I got him off of the vus and he was just as happy as could be!   I fixed them a snack as I waited for my friend to bring Big G home from the bus stop.  I waited and waited.  The bus driver made the determination to go another route because of the snow.  I guess he learned his lesson from a few days ago.  I made my babies some chocolate chip muffins and hot chocolate and felt like I had finally gotten it right!

Last night, Big G had her ballet performance as a reindeer in The Nutcracker.  She did such a great job and we are so proud of her.  She always has the biggest smile when she performs.  After stage rehearsal, she looked sad and I asked her what was wrong.  She said that she wished that she was the very last reindeer so that she could have an extra few minutes on the stage!  I love her!

Well, all of my children are safely tucked into their beds after a fun day and I'm about to snuggle up with the hubby on the couch for an episode of Duck Dynasty.

Goodnight, y'all!

So I guess I should have added that I had a spy on the other side waiting for Griffin to get off of the vus.  My friend drops her daughter off at the same time at PreK and she said that Griffin kept flopping backward as the teacher took him inside.  Yep, that's Griffin!  I'm certain he was examining all of the snowflakes falling out of the sky!

Also, why didn't I follow the vus to school?  That's a great question.  Honestly, I'm surprised that I didn't.  2 things.
1.  I don't like driving in the snow.
2.  Little G was asleep.  I have been jokingly saying that "nothing wakes my children and survives" with this attic fiasco that I have had going on for the past couple of months.  Well, that applies to me as well.  If I wake Little G up from a nap, I pay dearly for it.  I only do that in case of emergencies.  :-)


  1. You mean you didn't follow that vus to school? You didn't call the teacher as soon as he got home to see how his day went? Did you ask them if they can Skype while he is there so you can watch? lol You did really well Mama! And remember to nap next time! :)

  2. I updated my blog for you! I did have some inside information that I forgot to mention. :-)

    And thank you!


Tell us what'cha think!