Wednesday, November 14, 2012

This and That...OT, ST, Chris, etc.

Hi y'all!  I'm still here!  :-)  Sorry, just crazy busy and so tired at the end of the day.  My mom headed back to MS yesterday and is safely home.  I miss her like crazy.  I love that woman so much!

Chris has been slammed with follow up appts with no end in sight.  His elbow looks great!  His ankle, not so much, so that's the problem area right now.  To top it all off, he has a raging sore throat so they will be checking him for strep later today.  Poor guy.

Just a little of this and that-

Little G told my mother that she loved her for the very first time!  She said, "ah bah do".  It was absolutely precious and I couldn't be happier that my mother was the first to receive that.

Monday's OT appt for Little G was TOUGH.  TOUGH!   Let's just say that Thorston is taking care of business!  Little G didn't want to pick up toys before moving on to the next thing.  She was demonstrating perfectly for him what I have to deal with on a daily basis.  She pitched her a mega tantrum so he used that as a teaching tool for me and in the end it actually worked!  She does what she does for attention, I know that.  I usually put her in the corner until she stops crying.  However, Thorston suggested that even the act of me putting her in the corner provides her with the attention that she wants.  I hadn't thought of that.  So he said that I should let her have her fit and then put her in the corner while she is calm.  But anyway, for this session, he had me completely walk away from her.  Eventually, she came to me, still screaming, and wanting me to get the toy that she was screaming for.  Thorston told me to completely ignore her and walk to the other side of the room.  We did this over and over again and finally she went over, cleaned up the toys, and then was fine.  I would say that the screamfest went on for a good 45 mins.  He suggested that every single time she asks for something, to make her do something for me first.  If she wants her Baby Babble speech movie for the 100th time that day, ask her to put a puzzle together first before she can watch the movie.  So I gave that a shot yesterday, however, I was trying to take a nap on the couch and she came over and tried to drag the blanket off of me and signing "milk" and when I told her to wait a little while, she went into her tantrum.  I quickly said, "Pick up toys first and then I will get your milk!"  She stopped crying, picked 2 toys up and put them away, and was just as calm as could be.  Maybe we are on to something!  By having her do something for me first may actually rewire her way of thinking... We will see!

Speech was great for the little ones today.  Little G is having a crazy word explosion and is catching up pretty quickly, I believe.  I had to leave Griffin with the speech therapist since Little G wants to be too involved in his speech as well.  When I returned to get him, the therapist said that he had done very well and was prompting and doing finger play for songs, signing "please", may have said "up", and made a motion for "my turn".  It seems that he does a bit better when I'm not in the room.  She said that he does better in some areas when I'm not there but not in others.  So what we are going to do is put both of their appts at the exact same time and I will rotate every other session with each child.

With Griffin's midnight party that he keeps throwing in his crib, I have decided to stop nap time during the day.  So far it has helped and he has slept through the night for two nights in a row!  If he falls asleep in the living room, I will let him take a 20 minute nap, but I won't be putting him back in his crib for nap time anymore.  2 reasons- 1.  His crib doesn't mean "sleep" to him.  At the orphanage, he spent most of his life in one, so he did everything in his crib... play, sleep, eat, etc.  So  I want him to understand that crib means that he has to sleep.  No more parties!  2.  I want him to be really tired when he goes to bed!  :-)

But anyway, I hope y'all have a great day!  I'll do my best to get back on track with my blogging!

Love and Hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what'cha think!